"A free people joined by covenant into a church in the fellowship of the gospel to walk in all His ways."
- William Bradford
Our roots are in The Congregational Society that was organized by a small group of Pilgrims from Plymouth Colony in 1646. The Congregational and Universalist Societies reunited in 1939 to form The Federated Church.
1646 - The first meetinghouse-fort was built in Nauset, now Eastham.
1718 - The first meetinghouse was built on the present site.
1829 - The present building replaced the earlier one.
1838 - A group left to form the Universalist Society.
1889 - The sanctuary was moved to the second floor, and a vestry built beneath, as it is now.
1939 - The Congregational and Universalist Societies reunite, becoming The Federated Church of Orleans.
1968 - An addition of classrooms, offices and meeting rooms was built.
1972 - The Universalist Society sold its meetinghouse on Main Street to the Orleans Historical Society.
1996 - The 350th year was celebrated.
2018 - The 300th anniversary of moving to our current site was celebrated.
Photograph of the church from the top of the Orleans Cemetery (1908).